Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Taking the High Road

I leave a lot of places wanting to go back, but Scotland is the first I've felt I desperately need to return to. I'm so excited to head back and take a trip up through the Highlands, as I ended up not getting far out of Edinburgh. For good reason, of course, but there is much there to see, and I can't wait to see it.

I stayed with a couple of Brazilians, fantastic people. So fantastic, in fact, that I decided to stay with them in Edinburgh the last night instead of journeying on to Glasgow, though my plane left from there on Tuesday.

I arrived on Friday afternoon -- an hour late. Thanks a lot, EasyJet. Leo was there, though....had been waiting that whole hour, so I felt pretty bad, but he was in good spirits. He dropped me off at his house and went to work. I went back out on the town and ended up at a performance of Merchant of Venice that evening.

On Saturday Leo went with me up to the Artist's Sit, which is a hill providing the best view of any place I've ever been, and around town.





Lots and lots of walking. I'm estimating 8-10 miles. No joke.







Jony, his roommate, joined us later. We went to a bar around midnight and met another friend of theirs.



Sunday I was on my own, first to a comedy club for an afternoon of improv (it was okay) and then to the National Portrait Gallery, also okay. I had every intention of leaving on Monday morning to go Glasgow, but these people were too much fun. I had no plans to stay anywhere in Glasgow, and no real urge to see anything it had to offer. I was intending to journey out to Loch Lomond, but Jony suggested renting a car and taking a drive, so we planned on that.

Of course, the driver needs both a license and a credit card in his own name, and I was the only one among us with that particular combination. However, I was not about to attempt driving on the left side of the road. So, bust. I was really disappointed, thinking I should have gone on to Glasgow after all, as from there I would have simply taken a train to Loch Lomond.

We went back to the house. It was late morning by this time, and I was trying to determine the best way to get to Loch Lomond, thinking of maybe getting a hostel in Glasgow on Monday night after all, when Jony suggested St. Andrews. So, we took a 2.5-hour bus ride to St. Andrews. A charming little town. The cathedral is fascinating, the coastline beautiful. Worthwhile.









There was a party that night, a bunch of the Brazilians getting together, which I was very excited to go to. However, upon returning from St. Andrews, my evening looked something like this:

7:00 -- throwing up in bus station bathroom
7:56 -- throwing up in Leith Walk garbage bin
8:15 -- throwing up at home

I planted myself on the couch and didn't move until 7:30 the next morning. I still have no idea what caused that. I never felt sick to my stomach at any point. It was just suddenly, wow, I'm going to throw up, and I did. And then I felt fine, until I wanted to throw up again, and I did. Very strange. By morning I was totally fine. And terribly disappointed. Jony wasn't home. It must have been a fun one.

Tuesday was traveling, traveling. I took a bus to Glasgow (one hour) and a bus to the airport (another hour). My plane left at 4:30, I was home by 6:30, but then I had to wait for a train and worse, for a bus. I didn't actually get back to the house till after 10:00 pm -- totally missing Ed's birthday. The boys chastised me for that this morning.

Scotland. Lovely. Itching to get back and take a drive through the Highlands. Who's with me?

1 comment:

Freeze_Dried_Brilliance said...

Count me in! I am sure I can drive on the left... I mean I can parallel park on the wrong side of the car so why not drive on the wrong side of the road?

Eds birthday or Scotland.... as you said before you made the right choice. I'm sure there is leftover cake, and you can throw your own birthday party for Ed with the kids... have them decorate stuff and the kids will appreciate it and find it fun. Plus they'll be cake! ;)