Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Toto, we're not in Argentina anymore...

I took a quick solo trip to the store to pick up a couple of things so we would have breakfast the next day.  Since I wasn't expecting to get much, I didn't bother to grab a cart or little wheeled basket when I entered the store.  I wandered around, carefully stacking the few things in my left arm as I used my right hand to gather goods and hold items for careful label study.

The stack was not unmanageable, although it was larger than I expected it to be.  I was checking for the presence of corn syrup in some crackers when a little old man tapped me on the shoulder and presented the little wheeled basket for my use.  We chuckled, I thanked him, and then we both went about our shopping.

No need to tell you there's no way something like that would have happened in Argentina. If we were there, that same little man might have tripped me so he could beat me to the checkout line.

Speaking of Argentina, you should check this out: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21331052

And this:  http://www.forbes.com/sites/paulroderickgregory/2013/02/04/no-one-ever-learns-the-argentine-price-freeze/

Bottom line?  It's always a good time to get out of Argentina.

No comments: