Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Bikram Experience

One of our friends here is a Bikram yoga teacher, and she owns a handful of studios in Santiago and Puerto Montt. We attended a couple of classes when we were in Santiago, which I almost forgot to tell you about because it feels like years ago at this point.

Brent took a couple of Bikram classes a few years ago, but I had never done it before. I was surprised to discover that the workout itself is not that challenging. Some of the poses are in the tougher spectrum, but you don´t hold them for very long. What makes the whole thing damn near impossible is that oppressive heat.

It felt good for about 30 seconds after first entering the room because it was so cold outside, but that novelty quickly wore off. I was totally overdressed in a tank top and cropped yoga pants, and it still only took about five minutes to sweat through them completely.

Í wouldn´t say I dislike it, necessarily. I even went back for another round three days after the first. I would do it again. But not regularly.

No comments: