Saturday, March 04, 2006

Dutch Lessons

Pete and Amanda are building with Legos.

Pete: Look how much we have of these things. (Holds up two Lego wheelbarrows.)

Amanda: Two wheelbarrows!

Pete: How you say that?

Amanda: Wheelbarrow. How do you say that in Dutch?

Pete: I not know that.

Pause.

Pete: Why you say "Dutch"?

Amanda: That's English for Nederlands. Like you say Engels and I say English. You say Nederlands and I say Dutch.

Pete: (Giggle.) Why you say Nederlands not good?

Amanda: Because I don't speak Dutch! It's hard to say things correctly because I haven't been practicing it my whole life. It's just like you need to practice your English.

Pete: I not need practice me English. I speak English really much.

4 comments:

Freeze_Dried_Brilliance said...

He's got you there Amanda. He speaks English better than half of the Americans I know!

Babel Fish says English to Dutch: Wheelbarrow - kruiwagen.

Goodluck!

Anonymous said...

from a German e-mail today . . .
Hope, my English is understandable, I enjoyed to answer in English.

all the best,
andrea

Anonymous said...

Amanda, sounds like you are enjoying the kids as well as the language. Judi showed me some pictures of your new friends and it looks like you are fitting right in.

Take care,
Sandy Linster

Freeze_Dried_Brilliance said...

Judy gets pictures and I don't. Shame on you!