Friday, August 18, 2006

I'm with my boyfriend Spike. He knows karate and carries a gun. I'm meeting him here in 10 minutes.

While in Lagos, I met Brooke, a 21-year-old from Ohio who spent the summer traveling around Europe by herself. We became friends and talked quite a bit about traveling solo.

Traveling by yourself -- particularly as a woman -- is tricky business. It means going home before dark so you don't have to make such a trip by yourself, or walking really, really fast after dark. It means occasionally having to turn down invitations to various events because you can't be certain of a participant's character. It means being rude and dismissing people who are probably perfectly decent folk and are just being nice. It means taking chances.

Above all, it means putting an incredible amount of faith in your intuition. You're equally likely to avoid a certain street or accept a ride somewhere without knowing why. One might think this makes you crazy or stupid, but it's all you've got.

I admire Brooke a great deal, as I do any solo female traveler. I admire their courage, and their realization that this seeing-the-world thing is worth any risk that might be associated with it. They are amazing, adventurous people.

It is with some surprise that I realize I am one of them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No matter how many rivers you cross, or mountains you climb or
countries you tranverse; someday you will know that your heart will
always be in the Black Hills of
South Dakota.

"The excursion is the same when you
go looking for your sorrow as when
you go looking for your joy."

Euddora Welty

Amanda and Brent said...

I know it already. But thanks. :)

Anonymous said...

Great.:) "I'd rather be a lamppost in South Dakota than a
millonaire in any othr city."

William A. Hulbert

Freeze_Dried_Brilliance said...

Hey You! Traveling by yourself must sometimes be done... I'm not one to do it basically becuase I think I'd get slightly bored without having someone to talk to on long plane or train rides...

But I'm living vicariously through you and your postcards. Making mental notes of all the places I promise to someday visit!

I swear I'm never having children... I'm gonna save that money and energy and just travel the world over!